Pages

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Importing JPG images only on iPad mini - not possible?

Hi,

 

I am shooting RAW + JPG small on a Canon 5D Mark 2. I just bought an iPad mini to take with me on location for previewing images in the field. I am using the camera connection cable to transfer directly from camera to iPad.

 

What I learned so far:

 

1. The Apple photo import app does not give a choice to import JPG only. It is also an app, that has basically no features at all, but seems to be the only app, that opens, when connected to a camera. I can only shake my head in disbelieve, that Apple throws such an app at it's customers in iOS 6 and the year 2013!

 

2. Shuttersnitch lets you import JPGs only, but is for Wifi transfer only. I learned the hard way, since I bought the app and then found that out. It is possible to import images on the iPad into shuttersnitch, but then only the ones, that were imported by the apple photo app, which leaves me at point 1.

 

3. Photosmith seems to go hand in hand with lightroom, but it is buggy as far as all the comments are concerned. Also, as far as my reading goes, it seems that Photosmith also only imports images into the app, that were previeously imported by the camera connection kit, which again leaves me at point 1. I am also not willing to spend more money on apps, that will not do, what I need them to do.

 

My question:

 

     Using the camera connection kit, is the Apple importing photo app the only application, that is able to import photos? If not, which other app is able to do that and would also be able to import JPGs only, when shooting RAW + JPG?

 

 

I did not realize, that it is such a pain in the neck to get photos onto the iPad and then into a third party application for viewing or editing. That does remind me of the old times, when OS 8 or 9 had a few "features" that were hindering people to, for example, use third party cd-burners or other little things to make work more effective.

 

Input, apps that would do the job or any feedback is appreciated.

 

Cheers

 

Peter


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment