Pages

Monday, December 31, 2012

Home Sharing Just Won't Connect

Good morning all, I just want to add my voice to the carcophony with regards iTunes Home Sharing setup to my iPad and my new ATV2.

 

This past weekend we bought a new ATV2 to go with the new TV. Got home, unboxed it all and plugged it all in. It all set up seemlessly, both the new TV and the ATV2 found the wireless connection, password accepted which allowed us to successfully connect to Netflix and YouTube. After playing around for a while with the new toys I decided to try and setup Home Sharing. I followed the instructions: turn on Home Sharing in iTunes, then do the same on the reset of your devices using the same user name and password. Check. Only, not "check" because it doesn't work.

 

I've been floating around these forums for a few days now trying to troubleshoot and find the issue. I have triple checked login information on all the devices. I have "reset" the ATV2 to no avail, all it did was get me back to the point of being able to use Netflix, YouTube, Radio / Music, and AirPlay. Last night I played around with the Windows Firewall thing in the XP control panel, adding the port numbers from one of the other posts. Nope. I change the wireless router setting to the correct WPA setting that's also floating around. Nada. I restarted the wireless router. Nothing.

 

I guess tonight I will log out of EVERYTHING, reset everything and then reboot everything. However, I'm expecting the same underwhelming results.

 

Even my husbands computer won't show up in Home Sharing, and both desktops are hardwired to the moderm/router thing.

 

I'm SO used to Apple's "plug and play" beauty that this is getting frustrating, I've NEVER had to work so hard to get one of their products to work.

 

So to summerize, I've tried a bunch of stuff without success. Netflix, YouTube and the Radio / Music functions work without a problem. I can push content to the ATV2 using AirPlay. However, I can't get Home Sharing to work, and I can't seem to buy stuff through iTunes on the ATV2.

 

What else can I try?

 

Sincerely,

Claire

 

Your average, non-technical, home user.

 

Message was edited by: Elvinalfie for bad spelling.


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment