Pages

Monday, December 31, 2012

What is the best home set up for a family to share/use apple products

Hi, I am relatively new to apple (have an iPad) and having been a PC user for years I was pleasantly surprised with the apple experience and am now trying to work out the best set up for me, my husband and young son as I am buying them both of them apple products this Christmas.  New Mac laptop/ ipad for hubby and then an ipod touch for my son oh and a new mac laptop for me. We are also thinking of moving from Blackberries to iPhones. Yes we seem to be hooked! but i am unsure about the home family set up and how to replace my PC network that I run off an 8TB server.

 

In reading the forums I keep seeing people talk about problems they have with two apple IDs and trying to merge them. I have also heard about a family ID allowing us to share apps legally.  I am really nervous of setting us up wrong and then having problems later and hence i am now looking for some advice on how to share as much as we can legally but also make usage practical and not invading each others privacy. thoughts so far:

 

Music - I think we are happy to share the same music and access using one ID (we currently don't buy much music from apple but have lots of CDs we share).

 

Photos - It would be nice to share photos - as long as my son or husband cannot accidentally delete photos of mine (which is my biggest concern). I currently load all camera photos onto my 8TB storage box as the network owner and my husband has full access to copy any photo to his laptop but can never delete the original copies by accident.

 

Apps - If possible i would like us to share these but they are cheap enough these days to separate if really needed. Would be good to share licence for pages etc though

 

cloud, contacts, facetime, email -  this is what is making me consider separate IDs or learning how to have multiple users in one apple ID - I do not want to have to share synced contacts with my husband. I have near 300 contacts now through work etc and he will not want them plus i will not want his or him being able to delete mine by mistake. and then for email and facetime, well I want to give him his privacy so I do not receive his messages etc. especially now that we are considering switching to iPhones

 

Then last but not least, i don't know the best solution for my son. he is only 7 years old so even though I don't want to pay for things again I don't want him being able to download "just any" app from the purchased icon in Appstore. Also, is there a child friendly setting to prevent him from viewing inappropriate content on the internet?

 

Appreciate I have asked a lot of questions here but I am looking for any genuine advice out there. Thank you in advance to any potential advisers.


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment