Pages

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

What is the point of an iTunes server?

I have an iTunes server running on a NAS drive (Synology), but since I cannot connect my iPad or Apple TV to it I am wondering what on earth is the point in it?

 

I understand that I can connect my PC to the iTunes server, but as I have no need to I've not even tried. From my PC I can just point iTunes at the directory on the NAS drive where the music, videos, etc, is stored, so there really is no need to connect iTunes on my PC to the iTunes server. However, I really want to access all my content from my iPad and Apple TV, but Apple just doesn't seem to want to allow that.

 

The only option Apple provide is Home Sharing, but that means that I have turn my PC on and leave it on just to access content stored on the NAS drive, which is ridiculous. If I have to tur my PC on to access the content on my NAS drive then I might as well use m PC to access it, so why have I bought an iPad and Apple TV?

 

It appears that I have been very naive in assuming that Apple devices would be able to connect to an Apple iTunes server. And I am wondering what on earth is the point in having an iTunes Server?

 

Is there anyone out there who agrees? Or are there people out there successfully using an iTunes Server on anything other than a Mac or PC?


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment