Pages

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

iPad iOS 6.1.2 update causing excessive battery drain

I have noticed in other discussions that a number of iPhone users have experienced excessive battery drain after updating to iOS 6.1.2.

 

I am now experiencing this problem in a big way after updating to iOS 6.1.2 on an iPad 3.   Prior to this update, my battery life was very good, dropping to only 70% to 80% at the end of a typical day of use.

 

After the update, which was said to be to fix a previious Mail Exchange battery drain issue (one that I was not experiencing), my battery was dropping to 30% after a few hours.   It was literally like holding a bucket with a hole in the bottom and watching the water drain out.

 

I noticed that my Usage time and Standby time were identical, even though the ipad had been in sleep mode much of the time.   This indicates to me that something about this patch is causing the iPad not to actually sleep when in sleep mode.

 

The iPhone discussion forums point to a number of possible fixes, including uninstalling all emails and re-installing them all the way to a total erasure and reinstalation of everything.  This worked for some, but not for all victims of this problem.

 

Until Apple recognizes this problem and sends out another update, one less painful solution that worked for me was to change all of my email accounts from Push to Fetch every 15 minutes.   This has stopped the problem for me, for now. so I wanted to share this in case anyone else is experiencing similar problems.

 

If other community members have discovered other short term or long term fixes then please do post here.

 

Apple, I await an update that will allow me to restore Push functionality, or instructions on what steps will work to properly restore full functionality (what to remove and reinstall etc).


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment